Monday, December 17, 2007

Pick n Brew, Glenmarie

1. Old Friends.

collage5



When a Makan Club member gets married, we honour her. This is my pictorial tribute to my dear friend, Jo aka Pretty Pui, who married her childhood sweetheart on 15 December 2007.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. - 1 Corinthians 13 v 4 - 7.


2. And New Friends.

IMG_3119It was a jungle of sorts. A concrete jungle filled with homogenous looking structures. Gigantic mammoths spewing smoke in their imposing garments. As I sped along the grids of Glenmarie industrial area, I looked left and right, drinking in my surroundings, committing names to memory as that was the only way I would be able to escape this imposing looking place on my way back.

I hunted for a welcoming light, but I only saw white fluorescent lights illuminating coffinlike guardhouses at the entrance of each industrial building. After only one wrong turn, warm lights beckoned me from a distance. In the heart of this maze was a diamond in the rough, bearing the name "Pick n Brew". I was late, of course, even though Bukit Jelutong was only 10 minutes away. I barged into the private room with a very loud "Happy Birthday, Teckiee!!".

What I like about Pick n Brew is that it exudes warmth. From the cozy sofas to the huge glass panelled walls letting in sunshine during the day, it is the kind of place where I feel comfortable reading my newspapers with my daily cuppa.

Salmon Gravlax with Parmesan Tuile



Since Jackson was entertaining us as his special guests that evening, his chef whipped up two special appetisers for us. The Salmon Gravlax with Scallion Cream and Parmesan Tuile was very unique. The scallion cream went wonderfully with the smoked salmon, where it effectively downplayed the saltiness of the cured fish, and the parmesan basket was wonderful - chewy and full of flavour.

Chicken Consomme



Equally good was the chicken consomme, a clear broth with a pure, refined flavour that didn't reek of that dirty word, MSG. The sundried tomato and spinach gnocchi had an almost melt in the mouth texture which I reckon would be an acquired taste to those who prefer their dumplings with a little more bite.

Seafood Galore



My main course came from the Christmas menu, aptly named Seafood Galore on Feta Spinach. At RM40, it came with spinach baked mussels, prawn thermidor and grilled fish. The grilled fish lay on a bed of spinach and feta cheese. While some liked the flavour of the cheesy sauce on the grilled fish, I found that it slightly overpowered the delicate flavour of the fish. Then again, I prefer my fish with little dressing. The spinach baked mussels were brilliant; certainly no fishy smell there. And the prawn thermidor was excellent, thanks to its freshness. Definitely a recommended dish.

collage2



And what did the others have? Like me, Boolicious also had the Seafood Xmas special, while her honey buns, Splashie Boy, went for Chicken Chimicangas (RM19), a tortilla filled with minced chicken and spices, which he pronounced better than any other Chicken Chimicangas in Malaysia. I had to agree with this non-blogging foodie who definitely knew his chicken chimicangas. WMW had the grilled medallion of beef (RM35) in a special sauce of infused oil and coffee bean mustard. Jason went Asian with his Lamb Tikka served with Pilaf Rice (RM17). I must say that the Lamb Tikka was very good and it's probably something I shall try on my next visit there. Precious Pea's Herb-Crusted Rack of Lamb (RM33) with apple mint yoghurt was enticing too. Birthday girl, Teckiee, had the Grenobloise Salmon Fillet (RM30) which came recommended by Jackson.

collage3



Jackson's Angel Hair Marinara (RM22) served with prawns, green mussels and squid in a tomato sauce was infused with the flavour of the seafood, and despite the fact that it was a little on the soft side, I'd vouch for the flavour of this dish.

collage4



A variety of desserts are also available, and believe me, these cakes taste wonderful. The most outstanding of these cakes is the apple crumble cheesecake, inspired by the Apple Crumble team's participation (consisting of Jackson, Teckiee, Precious Pea and WMW) in The Star's recent Drive For Food contest. Incidentally, this was the cake that was presented to Teckiee as we melodiously sang Happy Birthday to her! (Yes, food bloggers can sing.)

collage



As a treat, we all got to create our own latte art. (Yes, food bloggers can draw.) Now that's money well spent, if you ask me!

collage5



Pick n Brew also has a great breakfast menu. All downed with a large cup of coffee.

banana walnut muffin



My American set (RM18) also came with a muffin. Yummy! Breakfast sets are priced from RM9 for a pancake to RM20 for a breakfast steak.

Pick n Brew,
Wisma CNI, No.2, Jalan U1/17,
Section U1, Hicom-Glenmarie Industrial Park,
40000 Shah Alam.

Tel: 03-5569 1216

I swiped the operating hours from Precious Pea's blog. (You can also read what she has to say HERE. For the birthday girl's account, click HERE):

Operating hours :
Monday - Friday : 8am - 8pm
Sunday : 8am - 3pm
Closed on Saturday and public holidays

CNImap

The good people of Abu Dhabi may view the pictures HERE.

40 comments:

sunita said...

At the moment, I'm simply drooling over all those gorgeous pictures...Wow!!

Kenny Leong said...

the latte of heart was nice, to waste to be drink, hehe^^

backStreetGluttons said...

U ladies ( got men also ah ?) did pick & ate a lot , sang , drew and so on . Great ! and teckiee must have been flustered and very happy.
but wheres the real Brew ?
the one drunken stupored one yr favorite always?
esp with a whiff of LL ? no need to wait BSG mah...
LOL !

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

they serve breakfast steak?? if you can get lose in your "area", i cant imagine finding this place haha..but will do will do if it can give me that relax mood drinking coffee and reading newspaper

Precious Pea said...

Lovely pics of the wedding. So beautiful and sweet. Ooo..those flowers...the colour theme was just sooo uhm...'ME'!

Btw, where you get that map? Am going to curi yours yah?

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

sunita: haha...enjoy the experience. :-)

kenny: gotta drink it eventually, hehe. the hearts were done by our very own Precious Pea.

team bsg: the place doesn't serve liquor leh. But with great company liddat, it's easy enough to get high without the alcohol! hehe.

Joe: Yes, PP and Boo had the breakfast steaks, so u can ask them if they liked it. And if u follow this excellent map, you'll definitely not get lost. :-)

PP: I downloaded the map from the CNI website. :-) Feel free to use it. :-)

mamasoju said...

wow wow wow... slurrrp... i think i m gonna beg on my hubby to bring me there... Glenmarie? i dunno how to go...

Kenny Mah said...

You're the best, dear! Was having a rather lousy Monday morning till I saw the pics of Pretty Pui's wedding... and then I cheered up all over. *love, love, love...*

Bernsy said...

really lovely pictures of the getting married couple, very nice composition. Ever thought of part timing as a Wedding Photographer ah .. hehehehe...

Anonymous said...

Hmm... I just realised that the party favors at the wedding came in 2 colors! I like the white one...

Pui darling, congratulations again, I'm so happy for you. May you both be blessed with many, many delightful years ahead!

LL dear, you did a good job with the pics, brought back memories of the wedding. It was so sweet ya? I had tears in my eyes when she walked down the aisle. Had a hard time telling myself not to cry! :p

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

ah mel: use the map on my blog. it's not too bad as long as u know how to get on the Federal Highway towards Shah Alam.

kenny mah: glad to be of help. ;-)

bernsy: no one will hire me leh. anyway, i think i do a better job with food photography. any takers? ROFL.

barbie: I felt like the proud parent about to give my child away to her prince charming. of course, in this case, the child is my age lor (give or take a year :-P). LOL. And I'm sure there were loads of teary eyes that evening.

HairyBerry said...

Joyous occasions,
Overwhelming affections,
Comely captions,
Priceless possessions.

*Darn the rhyme bug! Need to blame you as your lyrical pics are darn inspiring...Haha!

yammylicious said...

so amaze wif ur pic!! omg this place is really nice!! love the food.. yammm.. a must to visit thr!!!

Rarebeet said...

What fun! Food looks gorgeous. Perhaps I shouldn't have annulled our marriage after all. Hmmmmm....

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

nic:
roses are red,
violets are blue,
we should team up,
what say you?
hehe.

yammylicious: do visit and say hi to our friend, Jackson. :-)

paprika: beg him to take u back? hehe. aiyah, he's probably moved on already lar. TOO BAD. harharharhar.

daphne said...

that's beautiful photos of the wedding!!

and those food... boy oh boy. everyone looked like they have so much fun!

~Christine~Leng said...

such captivating pictures! I have to sat Pick n Brew do have a nice ambiance :) nice food and coffee!!

love your captures of the wedding. I love weddings!!

wmw said...

Pick n Brew...a place where you are you! Copyright! How's that for a tagline?

Anonymous said...

I live so near to you...in the less glamour area of Bukit Subang. I was gonna ask where the he** is the place when I see you very considerately put up a map at the bottom of the page, how sweet. Never knew Glemarie has such nice restaurants...until now.

HairyBerry said...

Lobsters on the tray
Grilled by the bay
Team up you say?
Anytime of anyday

hehehe...

Jason said...

Too bad Pick n Brew is so far from us! It's so difficult to find another place with such reasonable pricing and good quality food.

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

daphne: Yes, Fun is our middle name. We're a happy lot. :-D

christine leng: yeah, do try the place. I'm sure you'll love it. Plus you can say hi to the handsome Jackson too. :-) Weddings....sigh...I love them too!!

wmw: why don't u suggest it to Jackson? heehee.

rioj: Glenmarie has some pretty good places to eat, if you're open to all kinds of food, that is (halal & non-halal). I have reviewed some nice places. Do a search and see for yourself. :-)

nic:
Ah, you agree!
How exciting, I say!
If we keep rhyming like this
We could get famous one day!

Or not.... :-P

jason: "Us"? hahaha. Not all of us, my dear. Just "some" of "us". LOL. Or are you speaking in the language of the kings? :-P

Chibog in Chief said...

i just discovered your blog and all i can say is "wow"!! really great photos they are all beautiful and gorgeous!!

Sugar Bean said...

We've read so much about this place lately, seems hard to resist! The food really looks good. So wanting to try it out! Drawing on the coffee seems fun!

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

dhanggit: awwww thanks!! do visit more often. :-D

jackson: hey, it was my pleasure. Good food must always be shared (my motto). hehe.

wenching & esiong: if you follow the map to the dot, you'll get there quite easily. Have fun guys!

msiagirl said...

Looks pretty chilled out there, and of course, good company. Such romantic wedding photos, perhaps says something about you!

Cynthia said...

That is such an elegant pictoral tribute to your friend and the food: I'm speechless.

MeiyeN said...

very nice wedding pictures! just so lovely.... and da latte, omg.... i don't think i have da heart to drink it.. just too beautiful to be true :)

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

msiagirl: me? romantic? *puts on macho exterior* Okay, I am. :-P

cynthia: thanks..she's a really dear friend. The food was very tasty too, and well presented.

meiyen: LOL. We didn't have the heart to drink it either, but what to do...thirsty mah. hehe.

Rasa Malaysia said...

Isn't the camera such a great gear? Nice pictures! By the way, did you do that map thingy at the end of your post? Cute!

tigerfish said...

Always good to witness a good friend get married. Moreover, she's a blogger friend too :P

I seem to be liking pasta with tomato-based sauce a lot. The one here looks good....yums.

The Mylroie family said...

I tried to e-mail you but for some reason I get a "fatal error message"
I will be staying in KL for a couple of days next week. I need some suggestions on restaurants. Please keep in mind that we are two families with a total of 7 children. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

teckiee said...

all the weddings is so nice these days. wonder if mine will be as nice ...wait till i find my other half first la hahaha

and thanks for that night. really enjoyed with you all around.

Unknown said...

very gorgeous pictures, u can just quit ur 9 to 5 job and be a wedding photographer

Anonymous said...

Awww... I lurve weddings! Are those mini cakes party favors? They're lovely!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your unorthodox pressie! I usually get it for CNY. not Christmas!! :D

Feel free to moderate this comment too if not suitable for public viewing! :)

G said...

lovely wedding pics and I am gonna make a trip to go support Jackson soon.

NekoHime said...

Those are absolutely GORGEOUS pictures! The food looks good too!

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

rasa malaysia: tq tq! I learn from the best. *wink* And no, I didn't do the map. Just offloaded it from the CNI website.

tigerfish: i know wat u mean. I'm beginning to like tomato based pasta too! and that one is yummy!

teckiee: oh I'm sure your wedding will be really beautiful too, what with wedding planners and photographers among us food bloggers. hehehe.

kampungboycitygal: oh that would be my dream. :-D

kat: I love those favors too. very pretty wedding cake candles. She had in in various pastel colours. And the pressies, it was my pleasure, girl. Anything to feed a starving girl living in Abu Dhabi. hahaha.

alex: I'm sure Jackson will appreciate the support!

neko hime: you're too kind! thanks! And yes, the food's good too. Go try!! :-D

Ms One Boobie said...

What nice pictures of the wedding.. :) and food of course.. :)