Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Very non-halal post - Meng Kee Char Siew, Glenmarie Shah Alam

I've constantly complained about the dearth of good eateries where I live, and have had to drive all the way to PJ/KL/Klang to get good food, or resort to eating something quicky put together at home. Thankfully, people like Boo_licious and Jackson have been blogging about food in Glenmarie, and I've suddenly realised that I will not die from an overdose of curry chee cheong fun and curry laksa, the only two meals in Glenmarie which I feel have been worth eating here, because we all know that too much of a good thing ain't that good for ya.

So when I saw Boo's blog on Meng Kee, I immediately made a phonecall to the Bald Eagle.

"Meng Kee's in Glenmarie!!!", I squealed.

Silence at the other end.

"Meng Kee!!", I was jumping up and down at my end of the phone.

A couple of awkward seconds passed.

"Who's Meng Kee?", he asked.

"You mean what, dear. It's the famous char siew place near Jalan Alor in KL."

"Cool", he responded in a nonchalant manner. "So when will you be buying me lunch?"

I hung up.

A couple of weeks passed, and I still hadn't savoured Meng Kee's char siew. Meng Kee is open at lunch time till about 5.00 in the evening, and is closed on Sundays. I work everyday. So naturally, our subsets did not match.

The stars finally aligned on Saturday. I had taken the day off to spend time with the guys (big Liverpool fans) who wanted to catch the Liverpool-Arsenal game, so for lunch, I decided to buy the famous Meng Kee char siew from Glenmarie. I trembled with excitement (but mostly hunger) as I watched the nice young man chop up the pieces of char siew very carefully and place them into little styrofoam boxes. They seemed quite concerned that the char siew may not be enough for me. I must have looked ravenous.

char siew

The char siew was glorious! Beautiful, sweet, glistening, pieces of charred meat with a layer of fat that added to the smoothness of the overall flavour. I couldn't believe that something as wonderful as this could be found in my neighbourhood.

And the Bald Eagle? He was kissing my feet in gratitude.

Other reviews:-

Meng Kee Char Siew
20 (Ground), Jalan Pekedai U1/36
Hicom Glenmarie Industrial Park Shah Alam
Tel No: 019 - 379 3629

(Address: Courtesy of Boo_licious' blog. Thanks ar. I was too excited about the char siew to ask them for a card.)

20 comments:

wmw said...

Ha ha ha....glad to know that you are able to get your "fix" since there's a Meng Kee near you now! Lovely pic!

boo_licious said...

I'm glad Bald Eagle and you loved it! Yet to tell my friend who also lives in Shah Alam but then both of them aren't foodies.

tankiasu said...

Yea its a very unlikely association, Char Siew and Shah Alam, if you know what I mean.

I would expect them to open a branch in Subang or PJ instead. But nevertheless, will make it a point to go there soon. Jln Alor is just too congested/dangerous for me. :P

Anonymous said...

Look so good. I like the fact it's not too red...the colour is just that of the marinade/BBQ sauce. They use pork belly for the char siew right? Did they remove the skin of the pork belly? I know the fats' still there.
I always love my char siew with fats...hee heee...
Sometimes when I see that piece among the rest...I will pick that one out, TO EAT! :O

Precious Pea said...

I NEED A DOSE OF CHAR SIU TO CURE MY FLU!!! :( :( :(

Anonymous said...

Argh.. I'm starting to imagine the taste and the crispy part of the charred skin :PP

Pink Elle said...

Haha..I could feel your char siew passion radiating through your blog! Great pix :)

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

wmw: I'm ecstatic about it!

boo: thanks for the recommendation, girl! one of the best finds in glenmarie.

tankiasu: location wise, it's not a bad deal...it's near the industrial area, so guaranteed customers during lunch hour.

tigerfish: I would never order char siew without fats. :-P

precious pea: awwww. get well soon, ok.

jason: you have to taste it to know how good it really is. Mmmmmmm. :-P

pink elle: thanks! I love my pork. :-)

Xiu Long Bao said...

haha...so at first bald eagle tot meng kee is a man isit?

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

xiu long bao: ya lor. Doesn't meng kee sound like someone's name? :-P

Timothy said...

Hey hey .... ooooo... your char siew. They're absolutely deeeliciousss ! Gosh how I love to have my images that huge. I could practically see the sauce dripping down those ... err... those .. wordscantdescribehowdeliciousitlooks char siew ....

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

timothy: hehehe. Now you know where to get it.

backStreetGluttons said...

OK ok since now it is confirmed so many pigster/rettes connoisseurs somebody should do an eat on the best whole roasted one complete with all angled oil trickling everywhere shots !

Tummythoz said...

Blow that pic up & put it at AA (Aneroxic Anonymous-lar) center to save lifes.

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

team bsg: the compare and contrast is your forte!

tummythoz: hahaha! that's an idea. I shud start off with all the skinny ppl in my office first. *evil grin*

MeiyeN said...

very good pic!!!!! so mouthwatering :D

Anonymous said...

I prefer lean char siu but my friends love it with a little fat, maybe if I visit, I can take them there :P I love char siu... :D

Unknown said...

Arggghhhhh..It's a torture to drop by :((

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

meiyen: thanks! you're so sweet!

kay: I normally order mine with a bit (a lot!) of fat, hence the oil-dripping picture. Yeah, do take your friends there!

kampungboycitygal: lol. I feel the same way about yours too! :-P

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

jackson: the char siew is really good yah. I'm glad I tried it.