Friday, June 15, 2007

Japanese Dining Sun, Chijmes, Singapore

sashimi mori


Boss Man Malaysia (Boss Man MY), Superbikers SG President (SSP) and I were having drinks at an Italian restaurant at Chijmes when Boss Man Singapore (Boss Man SG) decided to drop by.

SSP had to leave shortly after that and Boss Man MY stepped away to say his goodbyes.

Meanwhile, Boss Man SG looked at me.

"How do you feel about Japanese?", Boss Man SG asked.

"Like I died and went to heaven", I replied.

"Okay. You'll love Sun", he pointed to the restaurant next door. "Does Boss Man MY like Japanese food?"

"He loves it." I had just told a lie. I was desperate for Japanese.

Boss Man MY appeared, and Boss Man SG repeated his question to get some assurance.

"My stomach's a little queasy. Can we try something safer?", Boss Man MY asked, a pained expression on his face. He was obviously looking for a way to get out of a Japanese dinner.

Boss Man SG didn't get the hint. "It's okay. We'll get you a hearty soup and some warm Sake to make you feel better!"

I could have kissed Boss Man SG's feet at that point.

cupI was greeted by rows of bottles (mostly Sake) and sake cups, prettily arranged in baskets as I entered Sun. The decor is contemporary, and the structure of the original convent school is maintained thus retaining its high ceilings which makes the place look large. We were directed to a table next to a column covered with a gauze like material which created an illusion of textures as I touched the material.



sakura masu 2 sakura masu


A specialty at this restaurant is the Kamameshi, which is a rice casserole cooked in a stainless steel pot embedded in a wooden frame. The dish is served with the lid on and an hourglass timer placed on top of the pot. The diner is expected to wait until the sand goes down (approximately a minute) before he proceeds to mix the ingredients up (somewhat like a claypot rice meal) and dish it out into the accompanying bowl. Boss Man SG and I both ordered the kamameshi. I had the japanese trout with japanese pepper leaf - Sakura Masu (S$38) (top right) from the seasonal kamameshi menu, while Boss Man SG had the unagi kamameshi (bottom left). The rice, despite being cooked at high heat in the pot, did not stick to the sides. The ingredients and the sauces had also had sufficient time to seep into the rice, thus creating a lovely aroma and flavour to the rice.


unagi kamameshi teriyaki chicken


Boss Man MY, as i had mentioned earlier, was ill, and thus played safe with his order of teriyaki chicken with rice (top right).


When the food came, I looked at him. "May I photograph your food?"


"Certainly. It's for your blog, isn't it?", Boss Man MY guessed correctly, then turned to Boss Man SG. "She has a food blog, you know."


"Please don't publicise my blog to all the bosses!", I exclaimed.


Boss Man MY looked at me, "Well, if the bosses don't read it, then who does?"


Hmmmphhh.


Subsequently, they indulged me and my photography as I shot at various angles and caused the food to get cold while they talked shop.


sushi mori


We shared a platter of sushi mori consisting of a delightful selection of sushi....


sashimi mori 2


...and a bowl of sashimi mori served on a bed of crushed ice. I expected nothing less than the freshest sashimi, and I was not disappointed. The sashimi slices were cut thickly, and I was able to savour each bite in my mouth without feeling like it was all being gulped down too fast.


desserts2 mochi


By this time, our stomachs were screaming for us to stop eating. Nevertheless, we couldn't refrain from ordering the mochi from the desserts menu. The mochi was nice and chewy, although I found the savoury sauce accompanying the dish to be an acquired taste (meaning, I don't like the sauce!). I ended up eating the remaining pieces of mochi without the sauce or the red bean paste that was placed on the side.


dessert


Japanese Dining Sun

30, Victoria Street

#02-01 Chijmes Singapore 187996


Tel: 6336 3166

25 comments:

wmw said...

You REALLY REALLY do love Japanese food! You have convinced me with your numerous posting on them. Cool bosses you have there! Letting you photograph their food.

Anonymous said...

I like the idea of the hourglass - it's fun to interact with food this way - adds a new dimension and let the diner anticipate :)
Even I'm in Sg, also no chance to try this...coz bet it is expensive. Need to find a boss like Boss Man so that I can get a treat ;p heh heh

msiagirl said...

Trust you to get in some sashimi action, girl! Hope you got one of those scallops ;)

boo_licious said...

Looks super yummy. I've had Kanemeshi here before but never with the hourglass so this is pretty interesting.

sc said...

aiyo, how i wish you wrote about this earlier! i was at Spore 2 weeks ago and stayed very near to Chijmes (1 min away?)..could have popped by Sun, the food looks yummy..haha, and like boo, i've tried kanemeshi before, but difinitely without the hourglass

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

wmw: yes dear, I really really do love Japanese food! Yep, I have cool bosses. Mostly. :-)

tigerfish: yeah, I think the hourglass is more of a novelty. Gets the diners to participate in the "cooking". :-)

msiagirl: sashimi gets me all orgasmic. Unfortunately, no scallops this time. :-P

boo: I recall having this here too, but the presentation wasn't as canggih as the one at Sun.

sc: I'm so pleased that I got to taste such good food in SG. Makes all the hard work at the SG office worthwhile. :-)

MeiyeN said...

woootttttt..... that's a really yummy jap food! moi saliva is dripping by just looking at da sashimis.....

k.t.x said...

lol. u really got a way describing the food. very interesting. i hv tried the iron bowl once but found that it is not really value for money. but it sure was delicious...very! very...bi bim bop(korean).

emm, starting to salivate for sashimies, altho i still hv reservation spending extravagantly on it.

u lucky fella u......m sooo sooo jealous.

Precious Pea said...

How i wish i have at least one boss like yours. The mochi looks good leh. You hiring PA/secretary/asst? ME ME ME!!!! (raising hand high high)

Anonymous said...

Divine sashimis! Tell you what, I finally had sashimi before I came to KL in Ipoh but yet to blog about it. Guess that I have to screw up my posting Q real soon...

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

ARGH!!! that sashimi plate is killing me!!..i had the most awesome tempura at edo jo yesterday..im also in heaven with japanese food..3 meals a day..7 days a week.. no problem.. haha when we heading to hilton?

Tummythoz said...

Ok, not an ardent Jap food fan talking here, 'Oh sound so delicious sekali!'
Where d'u find such cool bosses??!

Shilpa said...

my god, that must have cost a bomb.. ;-) what a nice boss you have there..

can't complain about my ex-bosses in s'pore 'cos they took me to good places, too, but it's different where i am now. :(

Anonymous said...

Wah, I sure envy you. I practically devour your photos. If I can have what you had ... I would also feel like I die and went to heaven.

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

meiyen: u can imagine how much i had to control my own saliva from dripping when i saw the food. haha.

k.t.x: oooh, someone's gonna be converting soon!! when you're ready for sashimi, call me. :-P

precious pea: you sure u really wanna work with us ar? Loooong hours are a prerequisite. hehehe.

jason: looking forward to seeing your post. :-)

joe: hilton? hehe. dunno, man. Maybe July? Must check with Henry oso.

tummythoz: cool bosses? yeah...way cool!! (in case they r reading this...hehe...)

shilpa: yeah, i think it was rather expensive. I couldn't get hold of the receipt tho.

the cooking ninja: thanks! glad you like 'em. I know...I can never get enough of japanese food.

Anonymous said...

I love how Chijmes look. Such gorgeous architecture, luckily they retained the original look. I also like the church across the road from Chijmes. Really lovely.

No scallop meh? I thought the ice bowl with the prawn had some scallops?

What is that last picture? Looks like rock sugar..

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

jackson: yeah, the japanese food was rather expensive. BUT they have cheaper lunch menus for those who are interested.

kat: u're probably right about the scallops. I think my bosses ate them all! :-P The last picture is like a mochi in texture. Not sure if it is one though. It's considerably sweeter than a mochi.

WokandSpoon said...

The photos look great! is that salmon that I see in one of the rice dishes? Yum! Good thing your boss picked up the tab huh!

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

wokandspoon: that's trout in the bowl. I'm glad my bosses have good taste in food. :-)

Big Boys Oven said...

Looks great from your pictures. Are they more pricy then KL?

By the way, are you coming to Sunny Yaw's Collection sometime in August? We need to do the head count, :)

Anonymous said...

Kamameshi--I just loved it :-)

Well if anyone happened to drop by in HK, there's one there too.

Location : Time Square, Causeway Bay

Anonymous said...

ooppss...I meant TimeS Square, Causeway Bay, HK. It's on the 13th Floor :-)

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

big boys oven: prices and quality are comparable with the high end japanese restaurants in KL. And yes, I've already sent you an email. Thx for the invite. :-)

anonymous: thx for the info. Next time, do leave a name...it'll be easier to make reference to you. :-)

Kenny Mah said...

Heh heh... I love how manipulative you were... I would have done much the same to get my hands on what I wanted. ;)

And the unagi kamameshi looks real good. I like my eels, yessirree... :D

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

kenny, I'm only manipulative when it comes to Japanese food. Other things, I'm willing to give up. I lurve unagi too...we go do that one day instead of that bland stall food, k. :-P