Thursday, April 05, 2007

Sin Kee Restaurant, Brickfields

mun fan 1
30 minutes to lunchtime.

Have you ever felt tired of eating? Like you wanted to take a break from gluttony? To go back to the simple life (sans Paris Hilton)? Half an hour to lunchtime today, I looked at the wishlist on my blog, and *gasp* turned away. I contemplated skipping lunch.

20 minutes to lunchtime.

Barbie scooted over to my room. "What's for lunch today?"

"Dunno. I'm tired of eating", I wrinkled my face, my tongue sticking out to one side like a sick cow.

Barbie looked at me incredulously. "How can you be tired of eating?"

I understood where she was coming from. Anyone who knows me well enough will know two things about me: 1. I have a missing patch of hair on my head due to a hairstyling disaster, and 2. I never skip lunch. Dinner, yes, but never lunch.

10 minutes to lunchtime.

My stomach growled. I looked at Barbie wide-eyed. Barbie looked at me. "Did you hear that?"

3...2...1....

The conversations happening between (T - 30) and (T) were erased from my mind. I was starving and ready to eat. I grabbed my car keys.

Despite changing my mind about having lunch, I wanted to eat something simple. And what could be simpler, and more satisfying, than a plate of Mun Fan (stewed rice)?

Sin Kee Restaurant in Brickfields used to be located in a wooden structure next to a petrol station along Jalan Tun Sambanthan. With progress and development, and the words KL Sentral whispered excitedly among the residents of Brickfields, Sin Kee moved to a shoplot across the road. Of late, there have been some positive refurbishments in Sin Kee. The restaurant now boasts a purple ceiling and orange lamps that create a warm and funky ambience to the otherwise old-fashioned chinese restaurant.

mun fan 2
The members of the Makan Club have been patronising Sin Kee for over 10 years. We've tried almost everything on their menu, but the one thing we agree is the best in town is Sin Kee's Seafood Mun Fan. Mun Fan is a one dish meal. Plain rice liberally topped with big fresh prawns, squids and sliced fishcake in a darkish sauce of onions, covering a fried omelette, and lettuce to complete the picture. We usually request for sliced lup cheong (chinese sausage) to be added to the dish to make it sinfully good. The flavours from the delectable seafood, lup cheong and caramelised onions work together perfectly to create a sweet and savoury meal.

This is comfort food at its best.

Other reviews:-


Sin Kee Restaurant
No. 194, Jalan Tun Sambanthan
Brickfields, 50470 KL

Tel: 03-2274 1842

Lunch: 12.00 noon - 2.30pm
Dinner: 6.00pm - 9.30pm

17 comments:

sc said...

dang lyrical lemongrass! now it's your turn to make me drool so early in the morning! ;P

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

sc dahlink, as you said, sharing is caring mah..... :-P :-P

Precious Pea said...

Hmm...picture looks good..especially the succulent prawns. But then I never like my rice soaked with gravy, dat's why i never eat mun fan. Really nice ar? Soggy or not?

boo_licious said...

Yum, heard good things abt their mun fan but strangely enough when my friends introduced me Sin Kee long ago, this was not the dish they ordered.

tankiasu said...

This was where I had my first ever mun fan in my life. *nostalgic*

I remember how happy I was everytime my dad brought me here to eat, as their menu is so extensive! :D

But I think it has been 4 years since I last ate there.

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

precious pea: The rice would be coated with sauce, but I wouldn't exactly call it soggy. Wet, yes lor.

boo: mun fan is like a meal by itself. So if you're ordering dishes, you don't want to overdo it by ordering mun fan.

tankiasu: time for another visit? Be prepared to wait, though. Service can be a bit slow.

Tummythoz said...

Last time when I still work on Sats, colleagues & I will drop by for lunch after work. Usually sat & chat until they switched off the fans and lights to close for the few hours before dinnertime. =P

Elaine said...

*everybody say Mmmmmmmhhhh!*
That rice dish looks delish, i must say ...the prawns look juicy, I can almost imagine them bursting in my mouth!

Anonymous said...

That looks sinfully good, they do gave a generous amount of prawns. Em.. who want the prawns? Ehehehe...

Usually ran out of ideas what to eat lar, but won't tired of eating!

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

tummythoz: wah, regular, huh? You should go back and check out their new decor.

the expedited writer: haha. the prawns were great! I usually save the best for last, so I ended up with a whole bunch of prawns and no rice at the end of the meal. Thk God the theory of diminishing returns hadn't kicked in yet.

jason: I lurve prawns. I guess we'll never really be tired of eating. :-)

jackson: thanks. hehe. but the prawns really were big. :-P

Pink Elle said...

Wow look at the number of prawns on that mun fan! Is Sin Kee the one next to the main road opposite KL Sentral?

Anonymous said...

Yerr... yesterday I couldn't view your char siu, today I cannot view your prawn!!

I like their fried black bawal. Hmmm.. haven't visited them quite a while, can't seem to remember anything except the bawal and mun farn. What else do they have ah?

p/s: in case you're wondering, I have yet to write about my Woo Lan experience! Will do so one of these days! :D

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

pink elle: they're quite generous with the ingredients, especially the prawns. A great deal at RM6.50. Yes, it's along the main road opposite KL Sentral.

kat: how come u can't view ar? Is anyone else facing the same problem? Oh yes, their fried bawal is very very good!!! They're also famous for their hoong siew fish.

Anonymous said...

I never get tired of eating unless I'm sick :p
Is Mun Fun, known as Mui Fun? This one looks like the darker version. The Mui Fun I've had before has almost similar ingredients, just that the egg was cracked up to mixed with the seafood and drenched over the rice.

Anonymous said...

You're killing me here, you know that don't you LL? Just tell me you're having dim sum over the Easter break, and then I'll be well and truly dead! Gorgeous photos as ever.

Xiu Long Bao said...

haiz...i felt that too...sick of eating sometimes.Esp when sitting in the office for long hours, facing the computer screen for nearly 12 hours :( I wan my gluttony back...

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

tigerfish: I always thought they were the same, except that mui fun may be the lighter version (why?). This version of mun fan does not have an egg cracked into the sauce.

jules: no, I did not have dim sum for easter. lol. New reviews coming up though!

xiu long bao: hehe..glad u can relate to my problem. Yeah, it's always more fun to be able to eat as much as you can without worrying.