Thursday, June 28, 2007

Eat Work Shop, Glenmarie, Shah Alam

eatworkshopWhen I first heard of Eat Work Shop, I laughed. What workshop? A workshop with food? It certainly sounded like one of the many car workshops in the city which had chap fan (mixed rice) stalls parked right in front of them to cater to the blue-collar workers in the area.


My imagination was further fueled when I found out that Eat Work Shop was located in the industrial area of Glenmarie. I concluded that it was definitely a food stall in a workshop.


I have a knack for spelling. When I was 5, I was given a sweet for spelling rhinoceros. It was a proud moment for me. And so, when I saw the spelling for Workshop spelt "Work Shop", I laughed again. How typically Malaysian, I thought to myself. Trying to be creative, I bet!


Well, as you can imagine, the last laugh was on me. Eat....Work....Shop. Duh. ALTHOUGH, Yang Ariff, there is no shopping in this place, so why "shop"?


Finding this restaurant in the middle of the night with nary a soul in sight within a 2km radius felt like an achievement. As we climbed through a tiny gate attached to a wall that looked like it was still under construction, I suddenly knew what it felt like to be Aladdin when he first chanced upon the treasures in the cave. Before me, there stood a restaurant in the middle of nowhere with warm lights peeking out through huge glass windows, welcoming a hungry stranger in. There didn't seem to be many customers that night, though, but perhaps it was the location or the misleading name!


panfried seabass

I love the pan-fried seabass which came creatively presented on a couple of risotto pancakes. The flesh was firm and the segments came apart easily as I cut through the fish. The accompanying passionfruit sauce added a tangy, yet sweet, flavour to the entire dish and did not compete with the flavour of the fish. (Note: this dish was not on the menu and was recommended to me by the lady serving us.)


chicken

Bald Eagle had the chicken with cubed potatoes and asparagus in a mango sauce (RM22.80/US$6.70). Again, I applaud the chef for his creativity in matching the uniquely created sauces with the meats.


dessert chocolate cake


For dessert, I had the chocolate fondant (RM12.80/US$3.70), which was essentially a moist chocolate cake that was served with pineapple confit and vanilla ice cream. As I sliced through the cake, warm melted chocolate oozed out to my delight and I quickly lapped it up together with the side servings. Perfect.


I'm rather lucky that Eat Work Shop is located so close to home in Bukit Jelutong, but even if we weren't living in BJ, I'd gladly make a trip here despite the distance.


Also check out:


Eat Work Shop
No. 9, Jalan Peguam U1/25
Glenmarie Business Park
40150 Shah Alam
Tel: 03-5569 7763

15 comments:

k.t.x said...

i think i only managed to spell rhinoceros when i was 20...i guess i m a late bloomer. lol. but i guess u will be rewarding me with max's wagyu beef cheek for spelling 'hippopotamus' correctly. ok la ok la, the the pan-fried seabass oso @ eat work shop oso can ... la.


cool? deal?

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

k.t.x: better late than never, i say! :-) How can I resist the desperate pleas for wagyu beef cheek, salmon ikura don and pan-fried seabass from a master-speller cum jamban architect like you?? It's a deal, only if you renovate my toilet for me.

k.t.x said...

then it is definitely more than 3 main courses. i'd think a simple toilet design equates up to 50 mains....ahem..lol.

sumore, i spelt 'hippopotamus'correctly too.

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

k.t.x: what price friendship?

besides, my company's worth 50 wagyu beef cheeks, so we're on the right track.

I want my toilet to have two types of sprays, temperature control and self-cleaning function (like those cool japanese ones). Also, the entire bathroom must be sleek granite and glass. You may spell out hippopotamus on the toilet paper, if you like. Go for it..one sheet per alphabet.

Henry Yeo said...

pity me......I stay all the way up north in Batu Caves, almost no fine dining places, at least Kepong and Jinjang are close by

boo_licious said...

Ah, been a while since I ate at this place. The shop was in reference to the shopping area the place had, I think the golf shop upstairs. Heard that this place is super popular for weekday lunch.

Big Boys Oven said...

looks ordinary yet extraordinary, simple yet full of flavour.

Anonymous said...

LL, if I spelt T-Rex correctly, you'll treat me a meal here? :D

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

henry: who needs fine dining when you got the best porridge in town? :-P

boo: the place was rather empty when i went there. I think it's popular with the ntv7 crowd. what a pity, since the food's really good here.

big boys oven: definitely worth a trip here.

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

jason: tell you what, since you and k.t.x can spell so well, let me introduce you guys to each other and you can have dinner together.

Deal? :-P heehee.

Rarebeet said...

what a gem of a place! Eat, Work & Shop is my anthem so I guess I should make a trip over there!

WokandSpoon said...

The chocolate fondant looks great - with all that chocolate oozing out! Yummmmmmm!

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

paprika: I think so too. :-) It is a gem...and in all places, an industrial area! lol.

wokandspoon: yeah, I love the choc fondant too. There's something abt melting choc that lifts the spirits. :-)

jackson: It's not on their menu. U have to ask if they have it.

itsjustme said...

Hi,

I have been reading your blog for some time ever since my first day at my new company in April. I had plenty of free days so I decided to check out Jackson Kah's blog from which I hopped to your blog and remain a firm fan of this amazing site.

Just to let you know that the chef/owner of this restaurant graduated from the same hospitality school as me (Le Cordon Bleu Australia) and no, sorry, I don't know him but he was featured in my alumni e-newsletter.

I have been meaning to visit this restaurant but I don't drive and it's just as well you blogged about this. Thank you so much!=)

My blog has not been updated much because of my heavy work but I will try to update it (foodloverboy).

P/S I like Mizu Japanese Restaurant in BV. Went there twice with my family and once my uncle/aunty. I just adore Japanese food. Can spare a thought for this little boy next time you go on a Japanese-eating spree? =p

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

Hi foodloverboy! Thanks for the compliments, both here and on your blog! Do you work in a restaurant now? If so, which one? Maybe we can meet up for a meal one day. Japanese, you say? Can can!