Friday, March 16, 2007

Scoop Ten Dessert House, Sungei Wang Plaza

I've always been fascinated with Sungei Wang Plaza. This is the place to go to if you don't want to visit a replica of 15 other malls in the city. You can find anything from the cute to the extravagant, from trendy harajuku fashion to goth.

On the 6th floor of Sungei Wang Plaza is a little-known gem. No, I'm not talking about Green Box Karaoke where Jay Chou wannabes congregate. Neither am I referring to the shop selling the multi-coloured bikinis.

On the far end of the 6th floor, right next to the lifts, is a tong sui (chinese desserts) shop. The leaflet advertises the following (presumably direct translation from chinese): Desserts: Mark Jook, Ma Tai Lu, Mook See, Kufar Sam Su, Fun See, Mei Fun Min, Choon Fun, Put Chi Koo, Nasi Lemah, Loxi Fun Egg Tar, Wokok and Cared Kuih. *grin* If you can get past the ludicrous spelling, be prepared for a treat.

tong sui
If you do visit this place, you must try the tong sui. I had the pak kor foo chuk yee mai (gingko barley with foo chuk dessert) which, despite being a little watery, was full of flavour and not too sweet.

bak chang
char siew pau

Because it was lunch time, we decided to try the savoury items on the menu. Barbie had the bak chang, while Eeyore and I tried the char siew pau which had a substantial amount of pork filling which was not over-minced.

porridge
I also ordered a bowl of porridge which was served with lean meat, century egg and yau char kway. The generous portion of finely sliced ginger and spring onions, and a dash of sesame oil enhanced the flavour of the porridge. I was certainly pleased with this find.

It's no wonder that Eeyore used to frequent this place twice a day for tong sui.

Scoop Ten Dessert House
No. 6F-38, 6th Floor, Sungei Wang Plaza, KL.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is that beans/peanuts in the bak chang? I tried making the ginkgo barley dessert -w/o the foo chuk coz cannot find :( - and use white fungus instead. Hot and cold, I like them both. The char siew pau also looks good- not those "dye-ing red" meat :-*

boo_licious said...

wow, must admit I didn't know there was a tong sui shop up here. Thxs for the tip!

Anonymous said...

Sg. Wang Plaza is like a labyrinth with hidden treasures leh... I don't even know there's 6th floor. ekekeke :P

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

tigerfish: yup, those are peanuts. The meat in the char siew pau was surprisingly good. I keep saying "surprisingly". You can imagine how surprised I was that the food was good. hahaha.

boo_licious: I didn't know either until Ecstatic Eeyore introduced the place to us. It was his well-kept secret. :-)

jason: only young ppl know of that floor. :-D

wmw said...

Hey there young girl ;o)...there are so many new shops in Sungei Wang Plaza. Have not really gone to all the floors since I shifted from Jalan Tong Shin to PJ since early 90s. I still remember the early days when a disco opened there, I think it was called Hollywood??? Ha ha ha...Will have to venture there to scout around for new food treats next time! Thanks.

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

wmw: u doubtin' ma youth? :-P lol. Hollywood?? lol. You party animal!

The 6th floor is an amazing place for good finds...if you're a young girl, or at least young at heart. :-)

Anonymous said...

Lemongrass dahling, it was not peanuts la, it was a type of bean called 'mei tau'. Don't ask me for the English name, I only know how to eat. ;p

For those who don't like the 'mei tau', they also have the 'luk tau' version.

Unknown said...

please cover more eating place at SWP..really duno what to eat there..:p

Tummythoz said...

Been on that floor but missed this. Guess I was too preoccupied with toning down my shell-shocked look when I saw several bunches of girls in over the top harajuku attire. O-mien, I m getting old.

Anonymous said...

lyrical lemongrass: I'm not consider young? :D

Precious Pea said...

If not mistaken, mei dau is called Black Eyed Beans. Mind me asking which part of KL is your office? So envy cos your all your lunches so good-looking and cheap. Poor me, stuck in Mont Kiara.

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

barbie: what will I do without you, my chinese speaking translator?

kampungboycitygal: your wish is our command!

tummythoz: welcome to our world.

jason: being physically young, and being young at heart are totally different. Which one are you? ;-) I know where I belong. harharharhar.

precious pea: Our office is near Petaling Street, hence the concentration on good and cheap street food. Besides, have car will travel mah. Wanna move to our office? :-D

Precious Pea said...

Wahh...near Petaling St somemore. Hiring or not?

Anonymous said...

lyrical lemongrass: Both la.. ahaha... Btw, just to inform you that I can only be in KL by June.. sad :(

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

precious pea: when can you report for work? We need your expertise in the crabs area!

jason: awww. Can't leave Ipoh food, izzit? Don't blame ya. :-P Guess we can wait till June to makan. Or if you come by KL for a weekend visit or sumthing. :-)

Anonymous said...

lyrical lemongrass: Sure... thanks first ;)

Xiu Long Bao said...

the shop's name already sounds tempting. Desserts!!my fave :)

Allan Yap & Nigel A. Skelchy said...

omigod...am heading over there with friends soon. ;-)

Nigel

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

jason: no probs, dude!

xiu long bao and allan/nigel: do try the desserts there. After that, can shop summore.

Precious Pea said...

I can report to work as fast as i get your offer letter. Hehehe...any deadline for my submission of crap..i mean crab report?