Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Marmalade, Bangsar Village II

marmalade cafe
From the enchanting, mysterious darkness of Chynna, we move on to illumination. This is Marmalade at Bangsar Village II. A cheerful brightness greeted us as we entered Marmalade for our Sunday brunch after doing my weekly grocery shopping at The Village Grocer. A whole side of the cafe is panelled from floor to ceiling with glass windows allowing Malaysia's pride, sunny skies, to show off its hues of blue, white and yellow. The walls, floors and furnishings are bathed in warm sunlight. This is the place to go for a lift of spirits.

The Bald Eagle and I opted for the brunch menu. He wanted a hearty breakfast, as all real men do so that they can show off their eating abilities and flex their muscles at the same time. How do they flex their muscles, you ask? Have you seen how they slice their sausage (no pun intended), sleeves rolled up, with biceps and triceps bulging? Or how the squareness of their jaws move as they chew their bacon slowly with a "come hither" look?

Hehehe.

brekkie set at marmalade cafe
Anyway, this is his Brekkie set. Hearty and satisfying.

corn bread set at marmalade cafe

I, on the other hand, have a liking for corn bread, so I ordered the Corn bread set. The meal came in the form of a sandwich with slices of bacon (beef bacon?) in between the bread and an egg on top. The bread, served hot, was rich in taste and fluffy in texture, with whole corn kernels visible in the bread, and I must say that this is the best corn bread I have ever tasted. I didn't care much for the baked beans (which seems to be the norm, and which I find quite unimaginative, whenever one asks for an english breakfast), but what I absolutely loved was the avocado salad on the side. The diced avocado had been tossed in freshly squeezed ginger juice, butter and a sprinkling of ground pepper to create a sweet, tangy flavour that was just so refreshing.

Brunch sets, which come with coffee, tea or juice, are priced at approximately RM20.

Other reviews:-

Marmalade
1F-18, First Floor, Bangsar Village II,
No.1, Jalan Telawi Dua, Bangsar Baru,
59100 KL.
Tel: 03-2282 8301

26 comments:

MeiyeN said...

yummmmmm yummy!!!! like da food at this place... feel so healthy! :D

Pink Elle said...

Finally, somewhere on your site I've been to before! :D But not for breakfast! I love how bright and breezy their cafe looks. Very cheery and a loungey sort of place. I didn't know they did corn cakes! Must try *adds to every-growing list*

boo_licious said...

We had lunch here on Easter Sunday (saw lots of bunnies at BVillage) and it was so good. Now I regret not taking any pixs! Somehow the food looks so much better here compared to the Mt Kiara outlet. Portions are really substantial. We ordered a salad to share and it was so big we had to tapau it home.

Precious Pea said...

I like your plate of cornbread, especially avocado salad. Am big fan of avocado, i used to just cut it into half, pour some mayo and soya sauce in the middle and scoop with teaspoon. Fattening isn't it? Yum yum...i will visit Marmalade this weekend!!! MUST MUST MUST!!

Tummythoz said...

Breakfast? For me, it will do as brunch!

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

meiyen: I love the food here too. Next on my list is the carrot cake.

pink elle: lol. yeah, the decor is just so cheerful and I understand why parents like to bring their kids here.

boo: can't finish ur salad? tsk tsk.

precious pea: this dish converted me into an avocado fan. hehe. Enjoy your meal there!

tummythoz: yeah, the meal is quite substantial. I was eyeing the carrot cake and telling The Bald Eagle that I just HAVE to eat it. Unfortunately, I didn't have enuf space in my tummy wor. Sigh.

Anonymous said...

So cheap! By S'pore and US std, for sure! Both sets look hearty and delicious, and healthy too :D

I recall Sg used to be have this place Marmalade. Wonder if it's still around,and the same as this one.

wmw said...

Me love corn, would go try the corn bread set too!

sc said...

have only been to the branch at Mt Kiara for lunch..good, hearty, homely food..and nice cakes too!

MeiyeN said...

same, same!!!!!!!! never invite me? :(

tankiasu said...

Once again, I'm more in awe of your photos than the food. Good job!

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

tigerfish: worth every cent man. Are you talking about Marmalade Pantry in Spore? Boo (masak-masak) just blogged about it. The food looks damn yummy.

wmw: we could be twins man.

sc: ya lor...the cakes look soooo yummy. But no place in stomach wor. Next time next time.

meiyen: next time I call u lor. What's ur number ar? (See, I'm serious)

tankiasu: once again, dunno if that's a compliment. :-P Wei, I didn't do any camera tricks la. That's real food man. And damn delicious. Go and try and u will thank me.

Anonymous said...

Hey ... didn't I just read a review on Marmalade somewhere just now. Oh .. it's in Masak-masak. Why.. u all visited the place together-gather issit ?

Anyway, I must praise you for your effort on the shots. Good stuff you got there. Is it because there's competition ..?? hehe.

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

tim ar, this Marmalade is in Bangsar Village II, that Marmalade is in Singapore lar. And by saying competition, were u referring to yourself? hehehe. U're way better than me lar (after all, I beginner wat), so I gracefully concede defeat. :-)

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm an avocado fans too! The set looks simple but I'm sure it's satisfying. Speaking about baked beans, I like them with some BBQ sauce.

Collecting Moments said...

HOLY BREAKFAST!!!! :) I wan me some corn bread and avocado!! Nice plates too. Will definitely try this place out.

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

jason: cool! do try this and tell me what you think. that is, when u come to KL la. Baked beans with BBQ sauce is nice.

honey star: actually, I want to eat it again too. yeah, the plates are very pretty. so's the decor.

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

how come i didnt c that corn bread there b4??...now must go again..i luv their salads..the stew is also very homey..the burger experience was so so..any preference over the hartamas outlet over the bangsar 1?

wmw said...

Uhh....aren't we???? LOL...

Anonymous said...

wow.... looks good!

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

SWICC: haven't been to the Kiara outlet, but from what i hear, the Bangsar one seems to be a li'l better. Look for the corn bread set under the Brunch menu.

wmw: yup, we are. I'm the fairer one. heehee.

kay: go try! tastes as good as it looks.

Xiu Long Bao said...

*growwllll* stomach growling for a hearty breakfast. Only managed to savour such huge serving of brekkie during vacation, u noe the complimentary breakkie in hotel.

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

xiu long bao: wah, u're so controlled one ah? You will love the brunch menu at Marmalade.

Anonymous said...

Ahem... I will try it *determined*

tankiasu said...

You want the address for the Tong Yuen in Bkt Tinggi rite? Here you go:

Restoran Hock Bee Hiong
Lorong Batu Nilam 10

*near Tesco*

You owe me one mate! ;-)

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

jason: good. gotta be determined about the important stuff. like food. ;-)

tankiasu: bless you!! yah, I owe u man!