Sunday, September 16, 2007

Nyok Lan Kajang Satay, Restoran Malaysia, Kajang


chicken satay


When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

Looking at the crowd at Restoran Malaysia, I am convinced that Kajang folk eat satay every day of the week.

So this evening, we sat down to partake in an age-old ritual in Kajang.


mutton satay


The restaurant has been operating since 1971. That's way before I was born *cough*.

And is the satay here any different from other satays in Kajang?

YES.

Why?

First, the marinade. I ate all the sticks of satay without dipping the satay in peanut sauce. I hear whispers of "she's mad". How can a true satay connoisseur not eat satay dipped in peanut sauce? Well, of course she can. She eats satay without peanut sauce when the satay's good enough on its own.

You see, the flavours are exceptional. I love the sweetish flavour of the marinade on the satay which is enhanced when the meat is slightly charred.

The chicken satay consisted wholly of lean meat. No bits of fat and no chicken skin on the skewers. The only setback with this type of satay is that the meat doesn't glide off as easily from the skewer. And naturally, lean meat is tougher than fatty meat, so if you have trouble chewing, this may not be the satay for you.

I normally refrain from eating mutton satay because I always have this idea that mutton satay is tough. So when the orders were made, I said I'd eat the obligatory one piece just to be able to give my two cents worth on it.

I couldn't have been more wrong.

The mutton satay was sooooo gooooood. The meat was tender and was literally falling off the stick, and the flavour was sweet and spicy and masked the strong smell normally associated with mutton.


peanut sauce with chilli


Despite not dipping any of my satay in the peanut sauce, I'd have to say that the peanut sauce was good, especially when eaten with the sliced cucumber and ketupat (compressed rice dumpling).


ketupat


Cleanliness isn't their forte, but if you're able to look straight ahead instead of down, you'll be fine. Just don't step on the cat like I did.


Chicken and beef satay costs RM0.60 a stick, while lamb, mutton, duck and fish satay costs RM0.90 a stick.


Also check out:

Babe in the City - KL
Honey Star


Restoran Malaysia (near Metro Inn)
No. 31, Jalan Semenyih,
43000 Kajang, Selangor.

Tel: 03-8733 1160

Closed Tuesdays.

31 comments:

Xiu Long Bao said...

President, u got the right place. I started eating nyok lan's satays when wearing diapers. Esp luv their peanuty satay sauce with sambal,ada kick!

Argus Lou said...

Waaa... so nice! I had some good satay in Taiping, Perak, while visiting my sisters.
Come to think of it, I didn't eat enough satay while I was in M'sia. Haiya.

NekoHime said...

aiyo... look very nice or... *droolz*

MeiyeN said...

i actually never tried kajang satay before... :( just don't know da way there.... if only they have branches around pj :p

k.t.x said...

the way y eat these "Malaysian" satay is so me, so ROME! lol!

should anyone ask me which joint in kajang would i prefer, without a doubt, i would say it's MALAYSIA's than the "1 near the stadium"(samsuri's).

come to think of it, i find these chinese, excel in everything food, be it satay, nasi lemak or curry. the remaining thing they hv yet to master must be nasi dagang or nasi kerabu .....lol. oh...maybe it is juz my pallete(right spell?). lol.

daphne said...

gosh. tender satays. Looks like u had a good time!

Babe_KL said...

ahhh the better satay in town... so dats why you passed by the happening balakong huh? hehe

Jason said...

Is it too much to have satay for breakfast? Heh. If only they're selling it at this time of the day!

Precious Pea said...

I also usually try the taste without dipping the sauce. Good satay tastes great even without the sauce. Tried this place before few years ago, find it even better than the other famous satay stall in Kajang.

Bernsy said...

Where to find good Satay Babi in town ?

Anonymous said...

Someone up there is good.. barred me from your photos! But damn, you're not called lyrical for nothing!! LOL I'll just settle kebabs.

I like my grilled meats without sauce too. And my french fries. And my fish n chips. And my burgers.

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

haha this looks like shots from a 50mm dslr.. m i right?? yes or no??

have fun..i guess this will b ur last hope b4 a hiatus..?

WokandSpoon said...

That satay looks fantastic. And you got "real" ketupat! So many places now just give you cubes of rice!

Anonymous said...

Mmmm now you make me wanna eat satay.

backStreetGluttons said...

satay is burnt flavored broken pieces of black meat so we know you will always crave them highly! only one lingering ??? my hokkian friend likes to say it is a Chinese invention as the name suggest 3 pieces in Hokkian , but along the way they have excluded yr fave ...( *sigh*) otherwise we can imagein the Greatest Stupor LOL ! with a bit of tiger maybe

Anonymous said...

The satay don't look greasy at all!
To be eaten without the sauce...must be really real satay! I still like my satay with peanut sauce - that means I have not eaten any good satay till now??? :O

Cynthia said...

I think you are so right, when things are made the right way, the condiments are welcome but not necessary. Those must have been some satay.

Anonymous said...

I've always assumed that Malaysia was the home of satay, but when pigging out on your fabuloso food earlier this year was surprised that it wasn't anywhere near as prevalent as I had been expecting. I obviously didn't go to the right places! Mumma, those satay pics had me drooling over the keyboard. Actually, over my knee, since I sit back from the keys. Actually, over nothing, since I'm speaking figuratively.

Anyway, LL, my compulsive lying aside, thanx for that post: I've got that lil venue marked down for my next visit. At those prices, you come too and I'll shout (hmmm)! Now there's an offer you can't refuse:)

wmw said...

I see...your first post with your new baby. Great shots!

k.t.x said...

hey, hapi holes...lol.

Junkgirl™ said...

The images are so tasty that I almost took a bite...

sc said...

the satay looks drier and leaner than the usual ones i've seen..looks yummy nonetheless *drools*

~Christine~Leng said...

kajang satay is delicious!
recently i've found better tasting satays and the meats are really tender @ one of the "kampung baru" in cheras! Oh.. i've rated that as my favourite ever since ;)

Anonymous said...

In case you didn't get my message, if you have a long transit again on your way back, call me ok? I'm sure this time we can work something out!! :D

Big Boys Oven said...

those satays looks so gorgeous!

Allan Yap & Nigel A. Skelchy said...

hmmm looks like the photog is a product of your 400D. Very nice. Looking forward to your news pics

Anonymous said...

Haha! I m a Kajang boy and this place is the absolutely best place for satays!
Lov their wonderful marinade! So much better than the Hj Samuri's satay nearby!

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

My dear friends...so sorry, but am unable to reply to your comments at this point. (sorry lah...vacationing)....thanks for visiting and keep coming back...I WILL have updates! :-) Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Hello semua!

Just found this site looking for raisins in Malaysian cooking. Gosh, I miss home. I miss Kajang satay so much.

Anonymous said...

I would love the satay.. but the cats are definitely not my cup of tea..! i would freak right out..! muahahah!!
But i sure miss those ketuputs.. :)

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

anonymous: where u at now? i hope u get ur fix soon. :-)

mamabok: yeah, ketupat rendam in kuah kacang is soooo good, isn't it? (can't wait for Hari Raya!)