Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Lian Bee, Jalan Cheng Lock - Hokkien Mee

Food bloggers' gathering - Part 3 of 3

A tribute to all things dark and tasty ~

......dark chocolate

..........babi pongteh

..............guinness

..................dinner by candlelight

......................Will Smith

.........................hokkien mee at Jalan Cheng Lock.

hokkien mee
It had to end, eventually. The floggers' final street call was at Lian Bee. This stall has succumbed to progress - it now has a retracting roof! In the old days, only a handful of tables stood in a dark alley lit by very scarce lighting; if you were lucky, you'd see little creatures flitting by, sharing the darkness with you, and you knew you were not alone.

hokkien mee hoon
Now, in the 21st century, the only thing that hasn't changed is the hokkien mee. The dark, charred noodles with pieces of pork and crunchy lard is still very popular with KL folk. Our band of 8 ordered a plate of hokkien mee, hokkien mee hoon and a large bowl of pork meat soup. Despite looking quite plain with balls of meat and vegetables, the soup was rather tasty and I'd recommend it as a complement to your plate of hokkien mee.

pork meat soup


cook at Lian Bee
Lian Bee Hokkien Mee
Lorong 1, Jalan Cheng Lock, KL.
Tel: 019-335 9203

15 comments:

boo_licious said...

I love that pork meat soup! So sweet and yummy. Now those fellas who scutter around at nite not so noticeable but I did see one that nite.

Anonymous said...

Hehe... boo_licious: hope you didn't scream :p

Anonymous said...

I found out about you in Rasa Malaysia's blog :D
OMG, another yummilicious foodie site!

wmw said...

Ha ha ha...love your post intro (dark and tasty). Furry fellas? FBB will find them cute! LOL...

Tummythoz said...

Oh d torture. Can't take it anymore but it had been raining in d evenings. Is it still a squishy squashy experience stepping in & out or had they tiled the floor as well?

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

boo_licious: yeah, the soup was very good. It was my first time trying the soup. Normally, I play safe and go for the hokkien mee only.

jason: no, she didn't! If she did, there would be mass hysteria!

tigerfish: Welcome! Hope you're enjoying the writeups. Nice to meet a fellow foodie!

wmw: yeah, i normally get my inspirations in the toilet. Why would FBB find furry fellas cute??

tummythoz: no lah, they haven't tiled the floor yet! The ground is still a little uneven, and I was doing a balancing act on my stool. haha.

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

jackson: same here! well, if we work hard at getting that potluck session going, we'll be meeting up soon enough. :-)

wmw said...

Cos that's what he said when he told me about the incident when a rat gnawed at his friend's toe! He said "So cute...." Ha ha ha....Oh, gave you a reply on the margaritas...

Melting Wok said...

hey lyrical :) thx for dropping by my blog..oo...I luv that bee hoon rendition so much more than the yellow noodles..yummys ! :)

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

wmw: I guess I shouldn't be going to fbb for sympathy then! lol.

melting wok: welcome! :-) yep, the bee hoon was good...so u're really coming down to KL soon, huh? (saw ur post in wmw's blog)

fatboybakes said...

actually, on the contrary, those creatures, distantly related to mickey, really disgust me....when i said really cute, i meant, the scenario of one of em gnawing at my friend's toe...i wonder what flavour her toe was...

i detest the little flers. actually, up to a few years ago, the only animals i liked are those on plates. now i dont mind fish (live ones), and marine life.

Melting Wok said...

ll, my comment went MIA again argh..anyway, yeeepeeyayeepeeyo !! hehe..prolly Oct *keep my fingers crossed* give you guys a break after all the golden f-e-a-s-t-i-n-g, yeah ? hehe, thx for asking, cheers !:)

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

fbb: then I guess I shouldn't tell you about the one time when I killed 50 fish accidentally...(see my recent meme)

melting wok: we'll all keep our fingers crossed and hope to see ya in Oct! Start working on your makan list!

fatboybakes said...

where's your meme? actually, what IS a meme?

Anonymous said...

as an unemployed youth, seated in the public bus, i would to pass by this tiny noodle stall in the evenings on the way home. the fiery ambers which the chef fanned out captivated me and i thought to myself this place must be famous for its food. years later when i had a salary, i found out the that the firefly ambers, loud clanking of metals, flippant tossing off the veggies-meats-noodles marinated with chefs sweat were a lie to my tastebuds.... sadly dissappointed not once but twice, i'd say go for the kitchen kungfu & nostalgia but elsewhere for good tasting food.