Thursday, November 29, 2007

Pik Wah Restaurant, KL


Nope. I don't think I'm quite ready to say goodbye to you.


14 years is a long time to know someone. Remember when you were my flatmate and you rushed to the kitchen when you heard my piercing scream? It was my first time cleaning a fish and I didn't know how slimy it would be, and you took over my chore because I was whimpering.


When I got married, you were not just a bridesmaid to me, but also my friend and my confidante. When I was running late for my wedding, I couldn't answer the impatient phonecalls from my parents (didn't they know that the wedding couldn't take place without the bride?), so you took the mobilephone firmly from my hand because you could see that I was getting hysterical, and calmly answered all subsequent phonecalls.


We'd laugh and gossip and chat everyday over a breakfast of nasi lemak or steamed bread. "Kak, Nescafe ais dua!", we'd take turns ordering our daily staple. It will feel strange to order just one Nescafe ais.


Pattaya style Garoupa

At your farewell luncheon at Pik Wah Restaurant, we ate quietly, whispering and conspiring, knowing what would be ordered and how it would end because all farewell luncheons were approximately the same. The Pattaya style fish would definitely be on the menu because it was a house specialty.


Suckling Pig

I fretted because the suckling pig was not on the menu. It was served at Smokin' SOB's farewell, and I remember its crisp skin and delicious thin slices of meat.


Braised pork trotters

But you had something else that was very good too. The braised pork trotters were delicious, although I know you don't care much for the layer of fat. The sauce, mopped up by the sweet buns, was a delight to eat.


Pretty Pui China is but a phonecall away. I think I won't say goodbye to you.

After all, 14 years is a long time to know someone, isn't it?

Please name your first child after me.











Restoran Pik Wah
MABA House, Basement Level Stadium Block
6, Jalan Hang Jebat, 50150 KL.

Tel: 03-2072 3668, 2078 3668

22 comments:

k.t.x said...

chan mean nah? lee mean nah? lim mean nah? chai mean nah? errrr....dear LL's 14-year friend, please reconsider....lol.

pik wah huh? chan pik wah...lee pik wah.... lim pik wah...chai pik wah.....emmmm, soothing.....lol.

emmm, pik wah...meat only joint? u guys did not hv XO with it to give it some extra boost? lol.

Anonymous said...

So touching. 14 years is a long time. A bit time of transition for both of you.

HairyBerry said...

unlike your farewell lunch, i had a rather joyful experience at pik wah as a close relative held his engagement lunch there...the food is quite traditional chinese, to me...aiyah, get a webcam lar...

Kenny Mah said...

Fourteen years? That's like a nephew where I come from. :P

But China isn't just a phonecall away... it's a plane ticket and an adventure away too... there's always some silver lining to these temporary clouds, my dear. *hugs*

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

k.t.x: thanks for running thru all the surnames. It helps when I need to change my name.

vegeyum: We literally grew up together. :-)

nic: Actually hor...we've been having only farewell lunches there. It's time to have a celebration for a change! Love the food in Pik Wah.

kenny mah: Oh, I definitely plan on visiting her. She can't escape so easily. :-P

Cynthia said...

This is so moving... but like you said, a phone call away, it's not the same but...

daphne said...

friends for 14 years is indeed a blessing..

having and sharing the roast pork? that's just yum!

cheers to your friendship!

MeiyeN said...

no, don't say goodbye to her.. it's not da end of everything :) it's indeed a beginning to test your friendship with her! it's not easy to have a long time friend and it's definitely a blessing! *hugz* oh by da way, yummy food! missed chinese fine dining so much!

Jason said...

*Hugs*

The bloggers/floggers already said it so I'll save my part :)
Apart from that, there's email, MSN...

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

cynthia: guess i gotta work harder then..

daphne: nothing like enjoying good food with good friends. :-)

meiyen: thanks for the words of encouragement!

jason: yah, I had to set up her MSN for her. :-P

Bernsy said...

wa 14 yrs together is a long time wor. It is going to take a while to get used to someone leaving. Try video conferencing, IM'ing , Face booking, Sype, Google Talking.... you don't exactly have to call each other very often...

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

bernsy: true...but this girl is not as technologically savvy as others. She only just signed up for MSN Messenger. :-P Facebook...hmmph....will take several more years, man.

Big Boys Oven said...

Having a friend for so long, is something incredible and I truely admire!

Anonymous said...

You know, I seriously thought you were writing an allegorical piece about the closing of Pik Wah...!!

Dare I hope that when I die, someone would write something as beautiful to remember me by??

Is this the same as the one that used to be in Jaya Supermkt?

Anonymous said...

BTW, I just had the best gulab jamun evah!! Didn't bother snapping a picture, all gulab jamuns look the same anyway. It was spongy, piping hot and just sweet enough. 2 balls wasn't nearly enough!!

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

nevermind lar..she will b making more money in china..then u force her to come back to m'sia for hols..haha..and since u r so good frens, i m sure 9.99 air asia offers can be a frequent "present" to her..

Anonymous said...

Thanks girl for the wonderful 14 yrs we have shared. Remember the time we attempted to personalise the songs during the karaoke sessions... We have a lot of fun but alas, it's time to move on. Continue to follow your dreams and may God bless you in everything you choose to do. Will pray for you from afar.

Oh, one more favour, can you please continue to make life miserable for your beloved hubby for me, just to continue with our "fight".

Precious Pea said...

Sigh...couldn't help it but felt sad for you. Am sure you going to miss her very much. But then, also more reason for you to explore China now. :)

Ms One Boobie said...

Ahh.. 14 yrs is a long time.. :) Not many can boast of a friendship this long.. ! both of you did good.. :) I'm sure yer're gonna miss each other.. but think of the reunion/s.. ;) and the adventure you both can have in China.. ;)

backStreetGluttons said...

Dec sure is a month of yesterday nostalgic reflections ( as why couldn't those good times go on and on ? **sob**sob**) and anxious anticipations of what tommorow's gonna bring... so we think...

but suppose reliefs' in the wining and eating so merry Xmas , for the best is on da way ( 4 we are now better than globalised, as they say only a click away )

Lovely Malaysia Food said...

Hello Lyrical Lemongrass, I hope you don't mind, but I tag you for a meme.

Rasa Malaysia said...

That suckling pig looked scary...sad. ;)

Anyway, thank god now Malaysians don't have to go all the way to Shanghai for those hairy crustacean. Life is too good in Malaysia! :)