Sunday, March 25, 2007

Pantai Seafood, Kg Sg Kayu Ara

Snow Crab
"Take me to your leader", the Snow Crab whispered in a hypnotic voice.

"Never!", I silently screamed. "My leader will not die a virgin."

Alaskan Crab
Snow Crab's bodyguard, the Alaskan Crab, covered in warts, moved menacingly forward. I retreated, seeing how he had flattened his accomplice. I didn't want to be Alaskan Crab's next dinner; au contraire, I wanted him to be mine. But I knew I had no chance. At RM218 per kg, he was too expensive to be my next meal. They may have won the battle this time, but they weren't going to win the war. I wonder where my piggy bank is.

It was Pretty Pui's birthday that night, and we were on a mission to eat crabs. Our last crab expedition (also the catalyst to this blog) was several months ago, and we were feeling desperate.

ying yong kailan
Having done our research before coming, we knew that we had to order the Ying Yong Kailan. Interesting name for an unassuming vegetable. The leaves were finely shredded and fried to a crisp together with a liberal amount of tiny anchovies and what appeared to be thinly sliced cuttlefish. They are then stir fried with the stems. A little on the salty side due to the anchovies and cuttlefish, but nevertheless, extremely tasty.

pork ribs
The pork ribs (coated with flour and deep fried) priced at RM4.80 per rib, was difficult to manoeuvre with chopsticks, so we resorted to using our fingers. This is how it is done (preferably with eyes closed to ensure full utilisation of the other senses - taste, scent....):


Everyone agreed that the ribs were very good.

salted egg yolk crab

The salted egg yolk crab was fried with a generous amount of salted egg yolk in a dry sauce. The best way to eat it is to lick the shell first (sorry, no demo picture), then savour the flesh.

Thumbs up again.

claypot butter crab
I've tasted so many versions of butter crab that I'm now confused as to which version ought to be the correct one. At times like this, I have to resort to using my own judgement, and tastebuds, to decide what is good. The claypot butter crab dish looked promising. The sauce was liberal and thick, but Smokin' SOB pronounced it similar to the dhal curry which he had with his roti canai yesterday evening. So it appeared like they had added curry powder to the sauce. Perhaps they wanted to serve a spicy version of this dish. However, the sauce was diabetics-inducing, and I would have preferred it less sweet.

fried rice

bun

Instead of ordering plain rice, we asked for a plate of yong chow fried rice and man tow (buns), perfect for soaking up the sauces.

Other reviews:-

Pantai Seafood Restaurant

Lot 13575, Jln Cempaka PJU 6A,

Kg Sg Kayu Ara, 47400 PJ.

Tel: 03-77255099/1099

38 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was such a torture - to read the review but can't see the pics yet cos they load slowly (slow connection at office). *wiping desk, screen and keyboard*

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

jason: sorry la, I think my pics are a little too big this time, which explains the slow download. Hope you finally got to see the pics.

jackson: it certainly looks tempting, doesn't it? That dish is one of my favourites.

Henry Yeo said...

really good pictures.

You using the digital camera instead of your camera phone?

Should I use your email to set up the appointment?

Allan Yap & Nigel A. Skelchy said...

Hey LL; Thanks for stopping by today and for making yourself known. I'm so glad you did. ALWAYS nice to put a face to the name. Ta much. Don't worry your alter ego is safe with me. ;-) You've got my email. Email me! ;-)

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

henry: thank you! yes, I use my digital camera nowadays...my cameraphone doesn't take good pics anymore! Yep, email me pls.

nigel!! It's such an honour to have met you lar! Your cakes are DELICIOUS! Btw, I checked out ur kampungkayell blog...it rocks. :-)

Jason Lioh said...

Oh, new food blog in the house. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Snow Crab just winked at me, don't quite know what to make of that! :)
Very cool photos!

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

Jason: Thanks!

Anni: lol. Snow crab likes ya! And thanks!

boo_licious said...

Yums! I love the salted egg yolk crab here but not too hot abt their butter crab though. Happy Birthday to Pretty Pui! Am glad she got her dose of crabs.

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

Boo: it's a pity about their butter crab. But it must be popular, since the lady taking the orders recommended it to us.

Anonymous said...

There are some food eg. pork ribs, crabs, that you just have to use those fingers (then you can hv a finger lickin' good time after all the food is gone! Those fried kailan looks so much like zhen zhu cai ("pearl" vegetables if I directly translate from mandarin).

tankiasu said...

NooOOO...I planned to blog about Pantai Seafood today..seems like you've beat me to it! :P

fatboybakes said...

my favourite butter crab is still at wong poh, in tmn mayang mas. but the salt egg crab here is DEEEVINE!!! my family eats here all the time, hence i've taken it for granted.

Anonymous said...

Lyrical Lemongrass: No problem, bigger pictures, better view and salivate more too! LOL

GT said...

hie.. really tempting pic!! Great Job!! Anyway, i'm not very familliar with that place, could you provide more detail description? Is it near 1U? i tried looking on the map.. but Alas... hope you could help!!

Desperate

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

tigerfish: eating with fingers does make certain foods taste better. ;-)

tankiasu: hahaha. can't wait to see ur review.

fbb: I haven't eaten at wong poh yet. I do love butter crabs, even if they're terribly sinful, so I hope to check it out soon. thx!

jason: how much saliva do u have?

gary: thanks! To get to this place, if you're using the Sprint Highway heading from KL to this place, after the first flyover past the SS2 turnoff, keep left until you reach the traffic light at the intersection of Jalan SS22/43 (Atria turnoff). Go straight past the traffic light and take the first left (a narrow road) which is Jalan Cempaka. You will go past a kampung area. The restaurant is on the right side of the road. You can't miss it. If you miss that narrow road, fret not. Take the next left at the petrol station (Shell). Go straight, then turn right. Drive on until u see the restaurant on the right. Hope this helps.

Precious Pea said...

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CRABS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Why oh why did my itchy finger press the go button and ended up face-2-face with the crabs??!!!

Tummythoz said...

That snow crab do look like a crabby ice queen, huh. Had it before. Thinks mudcrab tastes better but then again it could b d chef/cooking style.

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

Lol, Precious Pea. I thought of you when I was devouring the crabs. :-P

tummythoz: hehe, it certainly looks crabby. Wonder what it tastes like.

Anonymous said...

Lyrical Lemongrass: Em... no idea, but my desk is wet... jk jk :P

When I read this post, I'm also thinking of Precious Pea and Jackson... haha

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

lol, Jason! Guess u hv a lot of saliva. Save it for good food instead of the monitor. :-)

Precious Pea said...

Hahaha...aiyoo...I have been associated with crabs!! Actually the fried rice also look very yummy.

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

Precious Pea: Of course lah...u're the crab queen blogger! Yes, the fried rice was good too.

Pink Elle said...

I ate here once and I didn't come away that impressed. Then again, it was probably cos I was late and almost everything else was gone! Hehe...

I like your blog :D I consult it at times when I'm wondering where to eat next in KL and when my pocket can't afford fancy-schmancy meals all the time!

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

Pink Elle: I agree that the quality of the food isn't as good as other places, e.g. Green View. Thanks...I'm glad my blog has been of help to ya. I think street food's great...simple, wholesome, cheap and unpretentious!

fatboybakes said...

actually, we find that green view standard of late has plummeted to the depths from which some rare seafood comes from.... the last few times we ate there, the prawns in their sang har mee were not really fresh, and their soon hock was all soft and not firm (soft and not firm...duhh!)i do so love the fried honey sotong in green view though.

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

fbb: did you hear that? that's the sound of my world crashing down on me.

MeiyeN said...

hi lyricallemongrass, my first time dropping by and absolutely love your blog! oooo.. that snow crab, i still dream to eat them, they are real huge!!! :D i've just link your blog to mine ;)

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

hi meiyen! yeah, the snow crab does look tempting...will certainly look more tempting on a plate. :-) Maybe one day soon, eh?

Timothy said...

There's another place to have this ... the King Crab restaurant along Taman Mayang. But the pricing there is quite steep though. Love your shot s ... they're tempting.

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

Timothy: Thx for your suggestion. Must go there soon! And thx for the compliment. :-)

Precious Pea said...

Yummzzz...King Crab!

GT said...

yo.. thanks for your direction!! i'd be sure to follow it and test it the next time i go kl!! All the best to you guys!!

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

Precious Pea: Harlow..u just had crabs! lol.

gary: no probs. Hope u find your way. I didn't realise u were out of town; I'd have give u directions from your house instead. :-P

Precious Pea said...

But but, after the crab session at Hoi Peng, Hubby said we should stop having crab for the time being cos he jelak oledi. :(

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

Awww. You poor thing. Hope you can tahan!

Melting Wok said...

i need to dedicate 1 full week to this crustacean feast, promised !!!

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

melting wok: In that case, you need a good guide. *pointing at Precious Pea*