Thursday, February 15, 2007

O & S Restaurant, Paramount Garden, PJ

I come from Penang. Okay, so I spent only the first 9 years of my life there and my memories are restricted to eating flavoured toothpaste in kindergarten, playing hopscotch in primary school, eating koay teow th'ng at the market with mum, and swimming naked at the beach. But I still like to lay my claim over that island and all its wondrous food offerings.

Nowadays, I visit Penang once a year for my annual "makan" trip. The one dish I crave for constantly is the humble chee cheong fun.

You either love it or hate it. Chee cheong fun with prawn paste. Some are turned off by the strong fermented prawn smell. I, on the other hand, get delirious with pleasure.


Well, now I don't have to travel all the way to Penang to fulfill my desires. I can get penang chee cheong fun less than 20km from where I live. That's a marked improvement, I must say. I suppose there are a number of other restaurants in KL that serve this, but for now, Restaurant O & S will be a favourite. The chee cheong fun here is served with thick prawn paste and lots of fried shallots and sesame seeds sprinkled on top. Chilli is served on the side so you can control how spicy you want your meal to be.


The only problem with this restaurant is that it is so popular that finding a table at breakfast or lunch is hard work. There are a number of stalls serving a variety of food that will definitely satisfy one's appetite, even if one is turned off by penang chee cheong fun (horrors!). Pretty Pui belongs to the Penang Chee Cheong Fun Hate Club so she ordered another favourite at this restaurant, asam laksa. I tried some of her soup which, despite having huge chunks of fish in it, tasted like the turmeric had not completely dissolved in it. But I'm willing to give this stall the benefit of doubt as I've tasted better asam laksa from this stall before.


We tried the prawn noodles, but we were not impressed. The thin soup lacked flavour.


Since our orders were rather small (translated: we're gluttons), we also ordered a plate of yong tau foo to share. It wasn't too bad, but I wouldn't order it as a main course. I'd still go for the chee cheong fun! Call it an obsession!

O & S Restaurant
Paramount Garden, PJ

17 comments:

boo_licious said...

Awww, I love the ha koh chee cheong fun here. Always a must order for me. we regularly eat here too as it's near my old house.

Tummythoz said...

'Hae-koh' (prawn paste) What is there not to like? My toddler years were spent spooning & licking it off like others would do with peanut butter! Oops did I just made your readers turn pale?

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

boo_licious: Just saw your write-up on O & S. Need to figure out how to link. Newbie mah. Yah, the ha koh chee cheong fun is lovely, isn't it? Sometimes, I can eat two plates for breakfast, and then ta pau some more for lunch. :-P

tummythoz: lol!! I used to do the same thing when I was young and when mum wasn't looking!

Precious Pea said...

Swimming naked?? Wahh...which nude beach is that?? ;)

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

lol, precious pea! When you're 6 years old and don't have boobs, the idea of indecency doesn't strike you! Just shed all the clothes are run straight into the sea! Very liberating. :-P

Precious Pea said...

I still remember my blue and white stripe swimming suit with big flower in front i had when i was 4. :)

Anonymous said...

To be frank hor.. I never try the prawn paste chee cheong fun ler! paiseh paiseh..

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

precious pea: lol. Some things, we wanna forget. ;-) Anyhow, with the big flower, you must have looked really adorable.

jason: jason, jason, jason....if you haven't tried ha koh chee cheong fun, you haven't fully experienced life! :-P Come over now! I'm going to belanja you one plate of chee cheong fun!! lol.

Unknown said...

can i join the penang chee cheong fun fan club? i always think that only north people makes good prawn paste chee cheong fun and SP or Kulim has especially delicious one..maybe i shall try out O&S's someday

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

kampungboycitygal: If SP or Kulim has good ha koh chee cheong fun, I'm definitely going to pay a visit there soon! Yeah, do try out O&S and tell me how you find it. :-)

sc said...

hi, came across your blog recently. I eat at O&S regularly too, yup, the chee cheong fun is yummy and I like the kuay teow thng too (2 stalls there, i prefer the one with fishballs and shredded chook)

boo_licious said...

Gong Xi Fa Cai! Here's to a prosperous Year of the Boar with lots of yummy eats.

Anonymous said...

Lyrical Lemongrass: Promised ya! Will let you know when I'm coming to KL :D

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

Hiya sc! Thanks for dropping by. Maybe we'll bump into each other one of these days at O&S. :-)

boo_licious! Gong xi fa cai to you too!! Happy holidays!

Jason! Of course lah...I can belanja you 10 plates of chee cheong fun if you promise to eat it all up. :-P

Anonymous said...

Yeah, food from O&S is awesomely good. Agreed, that its not easy to find a table but if you like to eat 'Fukkien Chow' and other sort of 'chow',you should try going to O&S in the evening. Less people and the 'chows' is as great!

cookies_cream said...

Looks like O&S is a heaven food place. The prawn paste chee cheung fun is making me to drool~~~!

Aniways, Happy Chinese New Year. Have fun and enjoy~! May you be blessed with health, happiness, and wealth~ =)

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

Anonymous: Thanks for the suggestion. Will try the food at night..hope it opens till late though as I'm a night owl.

Hey cookies_cream! Yeah, the ha koh chee cheong fun makes me drool all the time too...like now, for instance...it's 12.25am and I haven't had my dinner yet, and I'm wishing that I had ha koh chee cheong fun in front of me. Happy new year to you too!!!