Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Heun Kee, Pudu - Claypot Chicken Rice

Jalan Yew is always bustling with traffic, thanks to the market located a short distance down the road from the roundabout. I've never seen a day when there isn't a traffic jam, and the traffic is at its peak on weekends when housewives and working adults jostle each other to get the best deals at the market. Along the road, owners of shops selling tidbits, hardware, pets, prayer items and other interesting wares carry on their daily lives with a slowness that doesn't reveal their true grit to survive in a fast-paced city.

In the past, I've blogged about two giants: Mei King with its lam mee and Hup Yick with its ginger wine chicken. Today, the focus will be on Heun Kee which is located in a corner nearest to the roundabout. You can't miss it as you will be greeted with several charcoal stoves propping claypot receptacles as a couple of young girls man the pots.

Our anticipation was clear as the claypot was placed in front of us. Having heard so much about the claypot chicken rice here, we expected nothing less than perfection. In the past, high expectations have led to disappointment. But it doesn't stop me from getting that tingling sensation - after all, how can one control one's feelings? Tell myself to shut up and not think about it? I only end up thinking about it even more.

Claypot chicken rice
As I stirred the rice with all its condiments and meats, I knew that I was in for a treat. The rice was fluffy, each grain whole and separate, and there was a generous portion of chicken, lup cheong (chinese sausage) and salted fish. A faint aroma of sesame wafted. Topped with chopped spring onions, it was probably one of the best claypot chicken rice dishes I had ever eaten.

Pig's stomach and white pepper soup
We couldn't resist ordering a bowl of pig's stomach in white pepper soup which we thought was rather good. The pig's stomach was not overcooked, nor did it have a rubbery texture. Being a person who enjoys her soup, I had no trouble finishing it up.

Business Hours: 11.00am - 9.30pm.
Closed every 1st and 3rd Thursday.
Open on public holidays.

22 comments:

wmw said...

*twiddling thumbs, while waiting*LOL...

tigerfish said...

What's in that lil' bowl, on top of the rice? Is that the "kiam he"?
Claypot rice (yummy ones) are hard to come by. From how you described the rice...and from what I see-those chicken and lup cheong, this must be really good! Sometimes, pple eat the charred rice at the bottom by stirring in some hot water, then get very tasty rice porridge.Heehee...

boo_licious said...

Ah, this is really good claypot chicken rice. Haven't been back here for some time though, thxs for the reminder. Must go try their other dishes.

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

wmw: all in good time. lol.

tigerfish: yep, that's the salted fish in the metal plate on top of the rice. Hey, your suggestion of adding water to the crust is a good way of getting two meals for the price of one. :-)

boo_licious: And thank you for making my day with your char siew review today!!

Rasa Malaysia said...

Ooooh claypot chix rice, it was on my list to eat that night in KL, but alas, didn't get a chance the devour it. Oh well...I can almost lick my screen now...

Tummythoz said...

Hot peppery pig stomach soup. Ahhh my anytime anywhere soup. Must.Get.Some.Soon.

Anonymous said...

Hi, just blog hopping and found you.

Your site is a feast for the eyes. That chicken claypot rice is awesome.

Mae

Precious Pea said...

Aiyoyoyoyooyo....your 'so-clear-almost-like-the-real-thing' photo of the yummy pot of chicken rice is so good leh. Somemore with my favourite pig stomach soup...saliva dripping, tummy growling, mind savouring the food.....hormone imbalance oledi!!!

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

rasa malaysia: ya lah..too bad we didn't get to eat it on our floggers' nite out. You would have loved this claypot chicken rice!!

tummythoz: You.Are.So.Funny. Jason once blogged about a great soup place in PJ. You wanna join me in search of this place? :-)

Mae: Thanks!! YOUR site is awesome. What great pics! At times like this, I wish I had an SLR camera.

Precious Pea: You should check it out. Unfortunately, it's in KL, so you gotta go a li'l outta your way to get the good stuff.

Tummythoz said...

lyrical lemongrass, spa.soup.spa.soup. Deal?

Timothy said...

I am sooooo hungry !!!!!

You know what ... I am looking at your site and it's lunch time now. Gosh, I've gotta get myself some claypot chicken rice.

Anyway, I like your work .. and if you don't mind.. I'd like to link to your site.

Rgds, Tim.

Henry Yeo said...

4th omakase?

Okay, will book you for a date in April, preferable weekend. Which weekend do you want?

Melting Wok said...

ll, aitel u, you def have to bring me go eat this claypot rice..for the time being, sigh.. I'll just drool, stare at my kitchen clay pot and counting donkey days, and minutes till then, 'k ? *grins*

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

tummythoz: anytime can!

timothy: Hope you had a good lunch! I know I had...you'll be reading all about it soon enuf! Of course you can link me..no need to ask wan. Btw, like ur camera. ;-)

henry yeo: Whoa, an omakase with the japanese food guru! Any weekend except for easter weekend is good for me.

melting wok: aiyoh, your to-do list must be getting very very long huh? Make sure you starve for a week before we indulge. hahaha.

Allan Yap & Nigel A. Skelchy said...

I WANNA GO EAT NOW! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Ah.. lap cheung with claypot chicken rice. *imagining the taste* :P Yeah, the soup place is at Paramount Garden... go try and post your review la :>

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

allan/nigel: Those words sound sooo familiar! ;-)

jason: waiting for u to show me the place la :> Actually, I've been meaning to go to Paramount Garden for a while already, but no time lar. A girl's gotta earn her living, y'know. lol.

Anonymous said...

lyrical lemongrass: We'll end up lost if you rely on me for PJ routes lol. I just know it's beside Giant supamarket. Well, just dump your work to your colleagues and say "I go ta pau for u guys!" ^^

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

jason: I was kidding. I've already marked it out on the map, and I have a rough idea where it is. Unfortunately, not many of my friends enjoy soup as much as I do, so I can't bribe them to do work for me while I go ta pau! I'm waiting for one of those lonely evenings, when I don't have a dinner companion, to go to this place. :-)

Anonymous said...

I remember Precious Pea and Mei Yen love soups too. *hint hint*

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

Jason: Cool! The more, the merrier, eh?

Anonymous said...

Yo, have you tried Foong Lian's Claypot Rice? I can honestly tell you , it is the best Claypot chicken rice I ever had. Try it and let me know.

Address:

Foong Lian Restaurant
55, Jalan Yew,
Pudu
55100 Kuala Lumpur

oh ya, have a website in progress too,

http://www.claypotrice.com

Regards,
Young Entrepreneur