Thursday, May 10, 2007

The Wondrous Mille Crepe Cake

Yes, I know. This is so last season! So I jumped on the bandwagon a little too late. Regardless, a good cake must always be acknowledged.

Early this year, I came across Boo's recipe for a Chocolate Crepe Cake. Mind you, I can cook a mean chicken curry, and some say that my Penang acar (mixed pickled vegetables) ranks quite high, but ask me to make a chocolate souffle, and I pee in my pants from fear. My excuse is that I don't have the right oven and the right mixer, but I am constantly reminded of how the Bald Eagle's grandmother used to bake her cakes - on a charcoal stove. Seriously, a charcoal stove made of aluminium! And I bet she didn't pee in her pants while doing that.

chocolate mille crepe cake (homemade)


So anyhow, when I saw the recipe, I was immediately inspired to try it out despite being warned that it was a time-consuming task, simply because there was no baking involved! I knew that due to my busy schedule, I had no choice but to sacrifice 3 hours of precious, much-awaited-weekend-sleep to work on the cake. Bear in mind that it is a tiring job - I stood at the stove, highly alert for almost an hour, making sure that I didn't burn my crepes. I had never made crepes before, so it was quite hilarious. For the first couple of crepes, I timed myself - 45 seconds one side, 30 seconds on the other. Very precise. It was tough keeping time and flipping the crepes, so I resorted to counting one-mississippi, two mississippi, three.... By the tenth crepe, I was a pro. Swishing the liquid mix around the pan was a breeze, and I was able to judge whether it was done just by looking at it. Well, what I'm getting at is that if one monkey can do it, so can the rest of the brood. As you can see from the picture above, my chocolate crepe cake turned out quite pretty.

mille crepe cake from nadeje patisserie malacca

Alternatively, instead of toiling over a hot stove, for a mere RM50, one can purchase a mille crepe cake (original flavour) from Nadeje Patisserie in Malacca. I count myself blessed for having a friend in WMW who not only offered to purchase a cake for me about a month back, but also delivered it to Shah Alam, where I live.

vanilla mille crepe cake from food foundry

If one doesn't have generous friends like WMW, fret not, as the cake is also available at the Food Foundry in Section 17, Petaling Jaya. Priced at RM70+ for a vanilla flavoured mille crepe cake, it is significantly more expensive than the cake from Nadeje, but throw in your fuel cost and toll charges, and I can bet you will be more inclined to make that short trip to Section 17.

Both cakes are very light and fluffy with a mousse-like creamy filling that doesn't sit in the stomach and make you feel like throwing up. I found the cake from Nadeje a little more moist than the one from Food Foundry, but nevertheless, the difference was not very noticeable.

all wrapped up - Food Foundry

The packaging at Food Foundry is delightful, albeit somewhat off-season (Santa Claus and Christmas trees?) seeing that we're way past Christmas, Chinese New Year and Easter. Nevertheless, I am quick to forgive as the boxes are not only pretty, but functional too.

Nadeje Patisserie
G-23 & 25, Jln PM4,Plaza Mahkota, 75000 Melaka.
Tel : 06 - 283 8750

Food Foundry
BG-8, Happy Mansion, Jalan 17/13, 46400 Petaling Jaya, Selangor.
Tel: 03-7955 3885

37 comments:

wmw said...

Thanks for the kind words! :o) Anyway, the cake from Malacca could be more moist due to the extra traveling time leh...I still prefer the one from Malacca!

Elaine said...

now that is very very inspiring indeed, that chocolate layer cake looks absolutely scrumptious! :)

KopiSoh said...

OMG this is the first time I heard of a crepe cake, I am so ulu, look delicious, hope I get to try it one day.

Lee Ping said...

It is my first time as well. Malaysia is not the Malaysia that I remember almost 20 years ago.

I went to Boo's blog. I think I am going to give it a try. My kids love crepe and the chocolate cream is just going to enhance the eating experience. Thanks for Boo's link.

Precious Pea said...

My luscious sista, not that i want to polish your shoe but then I find among all the mille crepe photos, yours look the best. Wondering if I ever got A chance to try...hmmm.

Thanks to WMW, i also got 2 pieces of the mille crepe, personally delivered to my doorstep. :)

sc said...

goodness me! your chocolate mille crepe looks fantastic :-) was practically drooling!

tankiasu said...

Hmmm...I found the quality n taste of the Food Foundry's mille crepe has deteriorated recently. But then again. I'm not an expert in pastries!

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

wmw: Thanks once again for buying da cake for me. Floggers are da greatest!!

the expedited writer: thanks! I'm now inspired to do more. :-)

firehorse: u not ulu lar. Maybe it isn't popular in ur part of the world. I hope u get to try it soon too. It's just sooo gooood.

lee ping: do let me know how it turns out. Btw, I improvised on Boo's recipe. The cream is from the other link on her blog. That cream is a little heavy though. I suggest you try Boo's recipe for the cream instead.

precious pea: thanks! Now I have to make you varuval AND mille crepe?? hehe. I'd rather do the varuval. Don't have to stand over the stove for 3 hours like da mille crepe cake.

sc: hey, thanks! I'll only make it again if I really have nothing better to do with my time. :-P

tankiasu: really? That's a pity, isn't it? But the vanilla mille crepe from Food Foundry which I ate last weekend was pretty good.

Rarebeet said...

Hey your crepe cake looks gorgeous! I always wanted to have crepes/pancakes stacked high like in Tom & Jerry cartoons!

MeiyeN said...

think da next time i make a trip down to malacca, will try my best to drop by and grab this mille crepe cause i thought da one i had before @ food foundry, so so only.... not really towards my liking :(

fatboybakes said...

GOODNESS, did you make all those??? the chocolate one looks stunning. i am so impressed, bow bow,..ouch, my nose has hit the ground. now that crepe cake is something i just would NEVER have the patience to make.

speaking of which jackson and i checked out food foundry the other day....wonder why he hasnt blogged about it yet.

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

paprika: yeah, I remember those cartoons! Thx for the compliment too. :-)

meiyen: yeah, I think it's the general consensus that the malacca one is better. Hope u get ur Malacca fix. :-)

fatboybakes: thanks, dude! I only made the chocolate one leh. The others, I bought. It's hard work and doubt if I'll ever make another one again in a long time. And if I do, I'm gonna make sure hubby is NOT in da kitchen. He helped himself to so many of my layers as and when I completed them! They're dangerously addictive!

Anonymous said...

The.. cakee...! I.. wa-n..t..!

Anonymous said...

*applause, applause* ..you are so patient! And with that chocolate, divine!

Tummythoz said...

I'm so gonna move over to your side of the city!

msiagirl said...

Phew! That beautiful cake looks like hard work, you are one committed cook. I don't think crepes would survive long enough here to actually make a cake :)

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

jason: Come and get it! :-P

tigerfish: tank u tank u ar. U're too kind!

tummythoz: come lar. We're hiring!

msiagirl: trust me, i had to sacrifice a lot of crepes too for the same of world peace at home.

GFAD said...

Just to let you know, my bag got snatched from my lap at FF on Tuesday (details in my blog). So if you or your readers do happen to go there, please be extra careful with your personal belongings, and if possible, don't sit outside like I did. The snatch thief just whipped my bag off my lap and jumped into his bike with his accomplice and vroomed away.

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

Hey ka..t! So sorry to hear about what happened to you. I hope you're okay. Thanks for the warning.

Lee Ping said...

Can you send me the link to the cream that you recommend? Thanks

teckiee said...

Dont know why ... but i find the looks and sound of mille crepe is very sexy. Duno is it me or its just the cake.

Xiu Long Bao said...

Your chocolate mille crepe definitely looks tempting! I'm the lazy type, maybe i'll just buy those ready made crepe and layer them with creams ;)

fatboybakes said...

teckiee, why? the unfolding of the many layers....hahahah.... i think we fifi lefleur to do an erotica piece on the millecrepe

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

lee ping: I used this recipe for the cream - http://foodaholic.wordpress.com/2006/11/06/adults-only/
But I find it a little too heavy. Try Boo's recipe instead: http://masak-masak.blogspot.com/2007/01/sugar-high-friday-27-chocolate-by.html

teckiee: maybe it's both? ;-)

xiu long bao: that's an idea! The Bald Eagle wants me to do a version with his favourite Trader Joe's Almond Butter. :-D

fbb: fifi lefleur busy getting all excited at unkaleong's blog leh. How to fight with dat body, u tell me!

Anonymous said...

Lyrical Lemongrass: Hahaa... you're willing to make that again for me? :P

Anonymous said...

Aiiii yah, you're killing me girl, and me who can't eat wheat/flour!!!!! How about some more rice noodle soups / dim sum to compensate, no? And I'm still waiting on your email *lol*. Loving your site, all the way from Oz, as always. jules

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

jason: since you're so sweet...maybe! :-P

jules: sowwy sowwy sowwy!! I know I owe you that email! :-P I'll try to review something u can eat, k. :-) I'm glad you're enjoying my blog despite the shameless display of the forbidden fruit...errr food.

Lee Ping said...

It is http://masak-masak.blogspot.com/2007/01/sugar-high-friday-27-chocolate-by.html

Thanks for verifying that Boo's recipe is better. I will try it.

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

jackson: thank you! keep ur fingers crossed that I'll make it again soon. ;-)

lee ping: hey, no probs! Looking forward to seeing your post on mille crepe cake!

Anonymous said...

Fuyooo .... you can bake too ? Wow .. I didn't know that, sorry ..hehe. Anyway, your shots look incredible. I bet they taste as good !

Mille crepes ... yeah, I first reviewed them in Food Foundry. Can't say I know much about it, but I definitely love the taste !

Anonymous said...

Choc mile crepe looks nice and delicious...I shall get one in Food Foundry :)

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

timothy: it's not a matter of talent or skill; it's a matter of looking at a challenge in the eye and saying I'll do it. It works in most situations. :-) Yeah, the FF cake is pretty decent. :-)

lightfl: If you want a whole cake, I suggest you call and book first. They also sell them in slices at FF.

Pink Elle said...

Congrats on your first attempt on making the layer cake...and for not peeing in your pants! ;)

Lee Ping said...

Mille Crepe Cake and recipe posted on my blog (http://hipfood.wordpress.com). Check it out when you have time....

farah siva said...

haven't tried the one in PJ, never even knew there was one in PJ area. but the one in melaka is to DIE FOR! everytime i go back to JB, i would order the cake a day before to collect it on the way back to KL. everyone i know who's tried it says its awesome. worth the trip. but will check out the one in sec 17 though. who knows i might like it too. thanks for the info!

Anonymous said...

Food Foundry goes to Bangsar!

After nearly two years of serving good food at affordable prices in Section 17, Petaling Jaya, our delicious meals are now available in Bangsar, KL too!

Tucked away in a quiet neighbourhood street, Food Foundry, Petit is a cosy, intimate space away from the hustle and bustle of Bangsar's main thoroughfare.

Our menu offers food for a variety of tastes and moods. If you like to keep things light, try our soups, sandwiches and salads. But if you fancy something heartier, pastas, chops and perennial favourites like fish and chips and chicken cordon bleu really hit the spot.

Or, you could skip the main course and go immediately on to dessert: A decadent slice of cake and a cup of fragrant coffee is something you can enjoty at Petit whatever the time of day. And, if you want to give yourself a special treat, our light and creamy mille crepe is a melt-in-your-mouth slice of heaven that will keep you coming back for more.

So, when you're next time in Bangsar and you're looking for a casual and relaxing place that serves delicious food, try Food Foundry, Petit.

Food Foundry, Petit is located on the ground floor, No 1, Lorong Kurau, 59100 Bangsar, Kuala Lumpur.
(Near NST)

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

thanks for the info, daphne! Hubby was excited when I told him about the new outlet, and went there yesterday. Sadly, they weren't selling whole cakes, so he bought slices instead.